Saturday, February 09, 2008

Dem bones, dem bones, dem broken bones...

I'm not sure what the Lord's trying to teach us right now. Maybe patience?

Caleb climbed himself up on the counter on Thursday morning, and by the time I knew he was up there, he was falling off backwards. It all happened very quickly. He cried a lot, of course, but he wouldn't tell me if anything hurt. So, we went about our day, and he continued to be extremely cranky. He wouldn't eat lunch, so I put him down for his nap. He took a good one, but when he woke up, I noticed that he was favoring his right hand/arm. I asked him to give me five with that hand, and he gave me the wimpiest little five and cried...Poor baby!

So, skipping the boring doctor/hospital details, he broke his right wrist. The orthopaedic doctors didn't seem incredibly concerned about it. They talked about how efficiently kids' bodies heal from injuries like this. So, he's in a fiberglass splint (which is under his long-sleeved shirt in the picture) and has a sling to wear. We'll have a follow-up appointment to reevaluate, and he might have to get a cast. We'll find out next week-ish.

You probably won't be surprised, but this isn't slowing him down at all.

So, who wants to start a pool on what bone Ava will break next year?

6 comments:

Shannon said...

My poor buddy! Hope he gets better!

Tim said...

Well, from what I have been able to see of Caleb's personality so far, this may be the first of a series of such injuries for him. You might want to ask the orthopedic doctor if he has a volume discount.

Tell him grandpa is praying for him.

Adminswife said...

Poor Caleb! He looks tired or sad in the picture. Was this taken after the hospital visit, or the next day?

Tobin and Erin said...

awwwwwwwww! poor little boy! give him a hug for me. i'll give him one myself in two weeks. i'm so sorry! hope he is feeling better. and i hope ava doesn't decide to do follow in her siblings' footsteps. aw. love y'all, see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I will say Ava may break a toe first... those heal pretty fast. So how many bones have you and Luke broken?? Have your kids topped your total already? Here's praying that no other bone are broken in your family again! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Lace, you've got a lot on your plate. I started praying for Caleb and you all when Mom told me over the phone a few days ago. From the looks of these other comments, I'd say your family has been getting a lot of prayer coverage lately.

Poor little guy! I hope his arm heals well and quickly. I love you all, can't wait to see you at the wedding! (can't BELIEVE that's only 2 weeks!!!)

Love,
Betsey