Friday, September 22, 2006

Slow progress

Not a lot to report...Today my dad underwent a tracheotomy, and they also inserted a feeding tube directly into his stomach. He looks much more comfortable now without all the tubes in his mouth.

Yesterday they gave him a diuretic, and he lost 14.8 pounds of fluids. He looks much less swollen now, which is nice.

When Melissa and I were talking to him yesterday, we saw his eyelids/eyes move. (His eyes were still closed.) It was exciting to see a new sign of movement. I hope he can hear us talking to him, telling him we love him and encouraging him to wake up. He didn't seem quite as active today, but he was also sedated during his surgery, so that makes a difference.

He's going to have quite a scar on his head from the neurosurgery. The staples start in front of his right ear, stretch all the way to the back of his head, and then all the way up the middle of his head toward his forehead. It's crazy. I think it'll be a good way to scare the boys off when they start wanting to date Alonna. : - )

I wish I could report a quick recovery, but that hasn't happened yet. We are still praying for a full, complete recovery, but it seems to be taking longer than we'd hoped. So, pray for patience for us!

Melissa is still scheduled to have her baby (Emma Jean Webster) this coming Tuesday, and then Luke and I and the kids plan to go home on Wednesday sometime. I really hope I can see my dad awake before then. It would be wonderful.

Thank you, everyone, for all your prayers and support. I'm amazed at God's provision, and at the generosity and love of all of our friends and family! I can't tell you how much we appreciate it! Amidst all of the craziness and hard times, I will still say GOD IS GOOD!

-{lkr}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually that wasn't "Mr. R." it was adminswife. I am sitting up letting the medicine start working before I go back to bed. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I love you all!!! It's good to hear about progress, even if it is slow. I'll continue praying for a full recovery and for patience for you, Lace!

-Betsey

Anonymous said...

Lacey, I am thinking about and praying for your family during this time... I couldn't believe what i read. Isn't it great to know God is in control?! I pray you have patience and peace about everything happening. I will look for more news soon. Stay strong...