"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." Proverbs 14:1
I'm having a rare moment this morning where I'm actually up before the kids! So, I sat down, intending to read Proverbs 17. But this verse caught my eye, and I had to pause.
Last night in POD groups, we were discussing Colossians 3:18 - a verse about the wife's role in submitting to her husband. Of course, it's not a "politically correct" verse, but it is a true verse! And so is the one above. I marvel at the way the Lord created us to be.
Many women (especially unbelievers) find submission to be degrading, or like a type of slavery. But I disagree! There is such FREEDOM in knowing and practicing my God-given role and purpose. I love knowing my boundaries, as it were. It gives me the freedom to live as I was created to live, without the confusion and heartache of trying to "find my own way" in life. Praise God for creating me to be in submission to my husband! And praise God for giving me a husband who makes submission easy(ish)! : - )
My prayer is that I will be a wise woman who will build her house, not tear it down. I want that more than anything in life - to glorify God with my whole life by living out the life He intends for me!
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
This is a wonderful, serious post, but your in-laws are sitting around discussing their sarcastic replies.
Dad's sarcastic reply: It's scary to think about someone submitting to Luke.
Mom's sarcastic reply: Does tearing her house down include driving through the garage door with the van?
Now that we are in trouble with both of you, we want to add that we praise God for the wonderful things he is doing in your house. Thanks for sharing with us.
you're cool.
oh, and are you pregnant again yet? hehe, just kidding. but seriously...
Very awesome post! I am also thankful for a husband who is wise and makes it easier(ish) ;) to submit.
I feel like I just read a mini-devotional for the day! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have always been a little frustrated with feminists because, although God created us equal, there are specific roles that we have and I don't envy Tim's and I do enjoy and embrace mine.
Hmm, I think a "feminist" might say that a woman should have the choice as to whether or not she would like to submit to her husband (or any man) or not. That's called equal rights and if you choose not to use them, that's up to you, but don't make the decision for the rest of us women, ok?
By the way, what about those women that aren't married? Who should they be submitting to instead of finding their own way? (Because what could be WORSE than finding your own way?!?!?!)
To the anonymous commenter...Of course women make the "choice" whether or not they're going to submit to their husband. I make that choice every day. If it wasn't a choice, it wouldn't be submission. The definition of "submit" is to yield or surrender oneself to the authority of another. It is, by definition, a choice. The difference between you and me, then, is that I realize God created me to submit to my husband, and by choosing not to do that, I'd be living outside of God's will for my life. I'd be doing something I wasn't created to do (like a spoon trying to cut through steak - not what it was designed for).
And the question about single women is a tough one for me. Of course, all women (married or single) should submit to the authority of God. Some people say single women should submit to the authority of their fathers, even if the single woman in question is an adult. I'm not sure what I believe on that one. I just really haven't thought it through or done a Biblical study on it. Sorry.
Also, I wanted to clarify that when I said I don't have to find my own way in life, I was referring to living as God created me to live. Single women can do that, too.
Last thing - You talked about men and women being "equal." Yes, men and women are both created in the image of God and thus are both valuable. However, even though we're equally valuable doesn't mean we play the same roles in life. Equality does not mean "sameness." Men and women, like it or not, are NOT the same.
I'm not really sure why you got all worked up about this post anyway. If I came across someone's blog post about their right to mistreat their husband by not respecting him or recognizing his authority, I would think it sad, even tragic, but I wouldn't post a cranky comment. Why are you so offended?
Lace... you've (almost) missed your calling! Keep writing and publishing-there was much peace gleaned on a very hectic day!
I am so proud of your mature, kind responses to the "anomyous one"-I'd expect no different from you! Your responses truly show "walking the talk"!
As for single women,for the record that's my group,there are Biblical examples. Timothy is the first one that comes to mind. Raised by his godly mom and grandmother (no mention of his father), his mom clearly submitted her daily life to the Lord-as you stated ALL WOMEN should- and I believe that she had resources (such as the wisdom of her godly mother) to call upon when needed. As a single mother of 3 I am often so very thankful for those resources we have as a member of God's family, yet it is my belief that I now have both the male and female responsibilities in my household. As you may guess, this leads to many days and nights thinking that both schizophrenia and alzheimer's have come to fruition! After 6 or 7 or 8 years...Godly-husband-submission sounds like a vacation.
Only 2 more comments... "What could be worse than finding my own way?".... I have discovered the answer is "not much on this earth!" When choosing to find my own way, I really mess it up good, I find that submitting my wants to the One who knows the whole story before I begin to read it is much better than me. For me it would be like walking in the forest on a pitch-black night with no flashlight to lead/light the way.
And, as for men and women being the same.... Luke can be the man on the ladder on my 2nd story roof in the deep snow ANYTIME (again)!
We're proud of you and love you all lots! K, SSM.
Post a Comment